Participants design technology to provide air to breathe, plentiful food, shielding from ultraviolet light, power, and more for space explorers.
Provides classroom connections, key concepts, connections to science standards, and additional resources.
• Globus, Al (May 07, 2016). “Space Settlement Basics.”
• Will We Ever Colonize Mars?
• European Space Agency Video: Building a Moon Base
• NOVA video: Extreme Temperatures on the Moon
• NASA videos: A Day in the Life Aboard the International Space Station
• Our World: Lunar Habitat - Structure
• Pat Rawlings Space Art
Some images follow the NASA media usage guidelines and may be used for educational or informational purposes. Please note the copyright status of the specific image of interest.
• Understanding Martian Resources and Environmental Constraints
Lunar and Planetary Institute/National Center for Interactive Learning
Updated from Nelson, B., Buckaloo, K., Shipp, S. (2006). “Build a Colony!” Explore! To the Moon and Beyond! LPI Contribution Number 1364. NASA Wavelength Digital Library
[Suggest a book]
• Science Adventures with Max the Dog by
Jeffrey O Bennett and Michael W Carroll
• Moon Base Alpha Series by Stuart Gibbs
• Packing for Mars: The Curious Science of Life in the Void by Mary Roach
• Astronomy: Cool women in space by Anita Yasuda and Lena Chandhok
Mission to Space by John B Herrington
Hidden Human Computers: The Black Women of NASA by Sue Bradford Edwards and Duchess Harris